- Who provides the insurance
- Area restriction
- When do we collect personal information?
- How do we process your personal information?
- Can I see the personal information you hold about me?
- If you have agreed to pay your premium by instalment
- How do we use your personal information?
- Collection and processing of sensitive information
- Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
- Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register ("Register")
- Governing law and jurisdiction
Who provides the insurance
RAC Van Insurance is provided by RAC Financial Services Limited, (Registered in England and Wales No: 05171817, with ICO Registration Z9637218), Registered Office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW.
RAC Van Insurance is arranged and administered on behalf of RAC Financial Services Limited by iGO4 Limited, an independent intermediary, and underwritten by an insurer selected from a panel of insurers. Both companies are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
In addition to those defined words and expressions, references to:
"Personal information" means any information that we have obtained from you or third parties in connection with a service or product provided to you that is held now or at any time in the future.
"Act" means the Data Protection Act 1998, as amended from time to time.
When do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information directly from you when you register for any online service with us or deal with us over the telephone, such as a request for a quote, the purchase of an insurance policy through us or the provision of policy administration or claims handling services.
We limit the collection of personal information to what we need to know to maintain the accuracy of our records, to verify the identity and assess the financial standing of customers, to assist us in providing a high standard of service and to fulfil any legal and regulatory requirements.
We will do our best to ensure that your details are accurate and kept up-to-date and we would ask you to assist us in doing so by notifying us in writing of any changes to your personal information.
How do we process your personal information?
RAC Financial Services Limited is the registered data controller for the purposes of the Act in relation to the personal information you supply in purchasing and updating RAC Van Insurance.
Your insurer is the registered data controller for the purposes of the Act in relation to the personal information you supply to the insurer in making a claim under your policy. Please see your policy documents for details of the identity and contact details of your insurer.
All personal information provided by you is held securely and in confidence by us in our computerised and other records. When we process your personal information we do so in compliance with the terms of the Act. We maintain strict security standards and procedures with a view to preventing unauthorised access to your data. We use leading technologies, such as data encryption, firewalls and server authentication to protect the security of your data. All our staff and all third parties we may hire from time to time to provide support services, are required to observe our privacy standards.
If you choose to pay your premium by instalments our third party instalment finance provider, Premium Credit Limited, will use your details to assess your application for credit and administer your credit agreement. In assessing your application they will search the public information that a credit reference agency holds about you. The credit reference agency will add details of the search and your application to their record about you whether or not your application proceeds. This and other information about you may be used to make credit decisions about you and undertake checks for the prevention and detection of money laundering.
Monitoring or recording of your calls, emails, text messages and other communications may take place in accordance with UK law and in particular for business purposes, such as for quality control and training, processing necessary for the entering into or the performance of a contract, to prevent unauthorised use of our telecommunication systems and web sites, to ensure effective systems operation, to meet any legal obligation, in your vital interests, in order to prevent or detect crime, and for the purposes of the legitimate interests of the data controller. The following web site provides further information on call recording: www.ico.gov.uk
Can I see the personal information you hold about me?
You have the right to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you at any time, on written request and payment of a £10 administration fee.
Should you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to us at RAC Van Insurance, iGO4 House, Staniland Way, Peterborough PE4 6JT enclosing the £10 administration fee made payable to iGO4 Limited. We will respond to your request within the regulatory 40 day period.
If you a require copy of the personal information held by your insurer, please write to the relevant insurer at the registered address detailed in your policy documents, enclosing payment of a £10 administration fee made payable to the relevant insurer. Your request will be dealt with within the regulatory 40 day period.
If you would like us to remove any personal information from our records, then please write to RAC Van Insurance, iGO4 House, Staniland Way, Peterborough PE4 6JT. Please be ready to quote your full name, address and if applicable your policy number when contacting us. We will make all reasonable efforts to delete your information from our files if it is deemed appropriate.
If you have agreed to pay your premium by instalments
We will pass your details to our third party instalment finance provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). We do not work with any other instalment providers on this product.
PCL will use your details to assess your application for credit and administer your credit agreement. In assessing your application they will search the public information that a credit reference agency holds about you. The credit reference agency will add details of the search and your application to their record about you whether or not your application proceeds. This and other information about you may be used to make credit decisions about you and undertake checks for the prevention and detection of money laundering.
If your application is accepted they will send you a welcome pack detailing their full terms and conditions, including full details of your right to withdraw from the credit agreement in the first 14 days if you are not happy with the terms. If your credit application is not accepted you will be notified by PCL in writing. We will also contact you to advise you of your options. In some cases we will be able to take payment in full, however your insurer may cancel your policy if credit has been rejected.
If you have any questions about your instalments you should contact PCL on 0844 736 9836. If you do not pay your instalments PCL will tell us. On renewal of your policy we will continue to pass your details to PCL unless you instruct us otherwise.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use and analyse your personal information for the following purposes:
- in relation to our online quotation service, to provide you with an online quotation
- in relation to our online cover service, to consider your application for, and facilitate your purchase of, an insurance policy through us
- to provide you with other services, including managing and administering the insurance policies you take out through us, and providing assistance with your claims and enquiries
- for the purposes of insurance administration and your personal information may be disclosed to regulatory bodies for the purposes of monitoring and / or enforcing our compliance with any regulatory requirements
- disclosed to regulatory bodies for the purposes of monitoring and / or enforcing our compliance with any regulatory requirements
- to offer you the opportunity to renew a policy or purchase a replacement policy
- to update our records about you
- to check your identity to prevent money laundering (unless you provide us with satisfactory proof of identity)
- for the investigation of or prevention of crime
- to undertake credit searches and fraud searches using carefully selected third parties who may check against any databases public or otherwise. A record of any search may be retained by the third party and they may share your details with other organisations, enabling applications for financial products to be assessed, for verification and identification purposes, to assist the tracing of debtors, or to prevent fraud.
- to enable us to conduct research and statistical analysis and facilitate our internal customer service monitoring
- to improve the quality of our service and the efficiency of our Website and systems.
Collection and processing of sensitive information
By requesting that we provide you with online services, or contacting us over the telephone to request the provision of services in relation to a quotation or insurance policy, we will consider you to give consent to our collecting and processing (as outlined above) of any sensitive information about you and/or relevant others which you may be required to provide.
Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
Third parties with whom we may have to share your personal information as outlined above may include:
- iGO4 Limited, who arranges and administers RAC Van Insurance on our behalf
- insurers who provide and administer the insurance policies you purchase through us and any third party insurance administrators who may provide services to you under the terms of such policies
- independent contractors or other third parties we may engaged from time to time to provide services to us or iGO4 Limited
- our professional advisors
- any regulatory or governmental body, or other supervisory body with rules and/or codes of practice to which we are subject, which requests or requires access to it; and
- credit reference agencies where it is necessary for us, or our credit provider Premium Credit Ltd, to carry out a credit check on you before we provide you with any services. (You should be aware that the results of those searches will be recorded by the credit reference agencies and that we and other organisations may use those records in order to help make credit decisions about you, people financially linked to you and others in your household)
In Addition, in order to detect fraud we may at any time:
- share personal information about you with other insurers or financial institutions
- pass on your personal information to the operator of any database or register used to check new information provided against existing information held to prevent fraudulent claims, including the Claims and Underwriting Exchange Register and the Insurance Hunter Database (a central insurance and claims checking system), which may result in your details being shared with other insurers
- in respect of motor insurance, pass your personal information on to the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register (please see below for further information on this register)
Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register ("Register")
The Register is run by the Association of British Insurers. When we deal with your request for an online quote or a policy, and/or when you report a claim to us, relating to motor insurance, we may search the register. When you tell us about an incident, we will pass on information in respect of that to the register.
Your policy details will be added to the Motor Insurance Database ("MID") which has been established by the Motor Insurers' Information Centre ("MICC") to help identify uninsured drivers and may be searched by the police to confirm the identities of those insured to drive a vehicle and/or for preventing and detecting crime. MID data may be used by the DVLA and DVANI for the purposes of Electronic Vehicle Licensing. It may be used by the MICC, insurers and the Motorists Insurers' Bureau to help identify relevant policy information in the event of an accident.
Governing law and jurisdiction